Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 22:32:33 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Wiki wish-list for JtR

On 2011-07-26 21:52, Frank Dittrich wrote:
> Just a thought - one of the items on the wish list is
> -support for arbitrary characters in rules pp, eg. 0xBF or \xBF
>
> To me, this looks like an  example for an "arbitrary" 1 byte character
> (meaning of the character depends on code page/encoding).
>
> Should we consider arbitrary unicode characters instead?
> I didn't dare tinkering with your whish list entries, that's why
> I thought to mention this on john-dev.

This is a very valid thought, except for the fact the rules engine is
8-bit as of yet.
A related item not yet on the wishlist is "complete Unicode support for
the rules engine". That would be a major change (and probably a new
rules engine, parallel to the existing one).

I have played with these ideas:
a) run UTF-8 all the way through the rules engine (well we already do
that, but I mean with *support* for UTF-8). This will be tricky and
probably slow.
b) run UTF-16 through the rules engine from start to end. This may be
much easier within rules.c but will impose problems in the "before and
after". We'd need to convert to UTF16 way before the candidates enter
the format. And if the format is indeed a Unicode one, we should of
course *keep* it UTF-16 right to the call to set_key(). This is not a
trivial patch.

Any ideas are welcome!

magnum