Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 21:52:35 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Wiki wish-list for JtR

Am 26.07.2011 20:53, schrieb magnum:
> http://openwall.info/wiki/john/wishlist
>
> Please don't hesitate to add stuff you would love to see in John. Who
> knows, someone may like the idea and implement it.

Hi magnum,

Just a thought - one of the items on the wish list is
-support for arbitrary characters in rules pp, eg. 0xBF or \xBF

To me, this looks like an  example for an "arbitrary" 1 byte character
(meaning of the character depends on code page/encoding).

Should we consider arbitrary unicode characters instead?
I didn't dare tinkering with your whish list entries, that's why
I thought to mention this on john-dev.

May be the most useful or easiest to implement option
depends on the use case.

In external modes, you can already use arbitrary characters,
at least arbitrary 1 byte characters.

For incremental mode, the extension to arbitrary 1 byte characters
(or, to the subset of those non-ascii characters that are printable
in certain encodings) might be useful, depending on the "target
language", even if extending the character set has other drawbacks.

Regards,

Frank