Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 01:26:45 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: ISO-8859-1 casing (experimental)

Jim -

On Fri, Jul 22, 2011 at 07:51:00AM -0500, jfoug wrote:
> NOTE, I have redone things fully, removing the -utf8 switch and the new one,
> and replace it with --charset=value with value being utf8, utf-8 (any case),
> ansi, iso8859-1, 8859-1 (any case) as being acceptable values.  There are
> only 2 final values set, but any of those will 'work'.

So I shouldn't merge your john-1.7.8-jumbo-2-iso_8859_1_tst-1, right?

> I also changed
> --create-charset=fname to --create-incremental=fname (and tried to change
> the usage of charset in the documentation to 'follow'), to avoid confusion.

I don't understand what you mean by "follow".

BTW, the "casing" for iso-8859-1 is a subset of that for koi8-r (or it
could be the other way around historically), missing only 3 rarely used
Cyrillic letters.  That is, the letters are indeed different, but the
needed transformation for the 30 pairs of 8-bit codes common to both of
these encodings is exactly the same - and this is what matters for JtR.

There are other Cyrillic encodings in use as well, though, for which the
same would not hold true.  Besides koi8-r (formerly the most common
Cyrillic encoding on Unix-like systems), the currently relevant ones are
cp1251 (Windows) and indeed utf-8 (which is probably more popular than
koi8-r on Unix-like systems by now).

Alexander