Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 14:55:51 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Licensing (was Re: New directory in Jumbo tree)

On 2011-06-02 13:54, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 01:18:43PM +0200, magnum wrote:
>> In what way does this not say we can use it like we do now? To me it was
>> crystal clear, but I admit having no experience with license issues.
>
> Please see above.  If you read e.g. the FSF's comments on various
> licenses, you'll see that this is not crystal clear.  For example:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#ISC
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_(e-mail_client)#Licensing_and_clones

I see. Dang.

> As you can see, even when the right to modify and the right to
> distribute are explicitly mentioned, there's still doubt as to whether
> distribution of modified versions is permitted or not.

The utf8towcs() is heavily modified for performance, truncate-on-error
and for actually now being ucs2-to-utf8. I could almost write a new
function without hitting backspace, but my head is so tainted it would
still be very similar to the original. At what point would anyone *not*
be able to claim it's a modified version? I could just move the current
stuff around, replace a switch with something else and so on. That
would, of course, be cheating. Or wouldn't it?

The version used in NT and mscash key_setup_helper_utf8() are even more
modified but still stems from the same one from Unicode Inc.

magnum