Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 19:49:47 +0200
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Wrapping up Jumbo-5 (was Re: Ideas for
 jumbo-6)

On 2011-05-23 22:04, magnum wrote:
> On 2011-05-23 21:47, jfoug wrote:
>> However, before moving down this road, let's get jumbo-5 finalized, and
>> published. We are 99% there. Hopefully we can get some Apple/Mac build
>> testing information soon. That is really the environment that is missing
>> from build and testing.

I just posted john-1.7.7-jumbo-5-RC6-various-patches.diff.gz to the wiki
but unfortunately there are *still* issues with 32-bit SSE (will be
posted separately) and that's why it's just an incremental patch.

This is to be applied onto john-1.7.7-jumbo-5-RC6 *after* the three
other incremental patches that was already released. This patch includes
the following:

* A couple of extra MPI defines in Makefile, for easy mitigation of any
bugs in the MPI environment.
* Reverted some changes to hmacmd5.[hc] (and the formats that use it) so
the function again uses its original function definition and is
thread-safe with no hassle. It's still optimised and it should (really)
still work on big-endian and aligned systems. It's not yet tested on
Sparc64 or cc (but it is on Sparc32 and gcc).
* Added a linux-x86-64-32-clang build to Makefile (like the others it's
not "announced") for regression testing (whatever it is worth)
* Since Jumbo-5-RC-1 we have muted ETA completely unless progress was
more than 0.00%. This is reverted, but now it's indicated that we see a
"best case ETA" using "ETA >xxx" instead of "ETA: xxxx"
* Added a prepare() function to mssql05 so it can load the
case-sensitive part of old-type hashes too.
* Fixed an OMP bug in mssql that was introduced by some other recent
patch, likely the SSE2 patch that was posted earlier today.
* Fixed a bug in salted_sha1 (memset sizeof(pointer) instead of the
alloced size).

magnum