Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 23:34:33 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: binary hashes and BINARY_SIZE

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 11:11:47AM -0800, Alain Espinosa wrote:
> I make a rapid read and do not fully understand how john works. When i
> have some free time i read again and change the NTLM behavior.

Thanks.

> I think
> this 'john internal documentation' is very useful for john developers
> when starting a new format. Add it to the wiki or a 'How to support a
> new format'?

Yes, that's what I was thinking and it was part of my motivation to
write that message.  I added a link to it to:

http://openwall.info/wiki/john/development#Integrating-new-formats

while keeping the rest of the page the way it was contributed by others,
even though I think it needs a major overhaul.

> I think memory usage/managment make an appreciable influence in
> performance which a large number of hashes.

Are you referring to cache and TLB hit rates, which are presumably
improved with reduced working set?

BTW, I have another closely related optimization on my to-do list:
separating hot vs. cold memory allocations.

Alexander