Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 15:02:56 -0500
From: "JimF" <jfoug@....net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Finishing up the MD5-stuff.

From: "magnum" <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: <john-dev@...ts.openwall.com>
> That's cool, and powerful! But it starts to get confusing when you call
> "--format=md5_gen --subformat=md5_gen(1066)" to get sha1 cracked. Maybe it
> should just be "--format=generic --subformat=gen(1066)". But that would
> break backward compatibility (unless both are just aliases to the same
> thing).

You can simply do :   -format=md5_gen(1066)

The backward compatible way  -for=md5-gen -sub=md5_gen(1066) has been left,
but the -sub= is not really needed any more.  The one thing I 'like' fom
the -subformat is -sub=list   That command lists all the md5-gen format's
installed on the machine.  That is the main reason (along with backward
compatibility if people have scripts) that I kept the -subformat= command
line switch at all.

> By the way, the subformat is a pain to type on the command line, since
> it's long and the parens must be escaped in unix shells.

the -subformat is not required (the format will deal with it), but the
parens still 'are'.  I could change that to md5_gen_1066, but that is a
'change'.  Would this be problems for not providing backward compatibility?