Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 20:30:40 +0100
From: magnum <rawsmooth@...dband.net>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Finishing up the MD5-stuff.

On 03/13/2011 08:00 PM, jfoug wrote:
> Added SHA1 in a limited degree, into the syntax.

That's cool, and powerful! But it starts to get confusing when you call
"--format=md5_gen --subformat=md5_gen(1066)" to get sha1 cracked. Maybe
it should just be "--format=generic --subformat=gen(1066)". But that
would break backward compatibility (unless both are just aliases to the
same thing).

By the way, the subformat is a pain to type on the command line, since
it's long and the parens must be escaped in unix shells. I thought of
hacking it so you could optionally just say --subformat=1066 (which of
course can be shortened to --sub=1066 or even more). I'll look at it
some rainy day unless you beat me to it.

cheers
magnum