Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 01:33:49 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com, lkrg-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [openwall-announce] LKRG 0.9.8

Hi,

For those new to Linux Kernel Runtime Guard (LKRG), it is a kernel
module that performs runtime integrity checking of the Linux kernel and
detection of security vulnerability exploits against the kernel.

We've just released LKRG 0.9.8, available on the LKRG project website:

https://lkrg.org

The following major changes have been made between LKRG 0.9.7 and 0.9.8:

 *) Add optional remote kernel message logging, including the sending component
    in LKRG itself and the receiving/logging counterpart in a userspace daemon,
    as well as additional utilities to generate a public/secret keypair and to
    process the logs, and documentation in LOGGING
 *) Add support for RHEL 8.8+
 *) RPM spec file improvements to make it work or properly fail in a wider set
    of circumstances, and to use the "weak-modules" script if available so that
    on RHEL and its rebuilds the same LKRG package build works across different
    kABI-compatible kernel revisions/builds
 *) More complete documentation of the build requirements

The major change this time is the addition of built-in remote kernel
message logging capability.  The initial implementation has been
sponsored by Binarly software supply chain security platform, whereas
shaping it for the present public release and Rocky Linux integration
are due to my work at CIQ, the primary corporate sponsor of Rocky Linux.

Mostly due to the bundling of (cut-down) libhydrogen, which we use to
provide transport security, quite some lines of code were added:

$ git diff --shortstat v0.9.7..v0.9.8

The changes these time are by the following people:

$  git shortlog -sn v0.9.7..v0.9.8
    38  Solar Designer
     3  Adam 'pi3' Zabrocki
     3  Vitaly Chikunov