Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 13:41:35 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: announce@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: [openwall-announce] Re: GitHub Openwall organization

Hi,

Here's an update:

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 08:48:39PM +0200, Solar Designer wrote:
> We've recently setup an Openwall organization account on GitHub, and are
> now consolidating our Git repositories in there:
>
> https://github.com/openwall
>
> Moved to there so far are Linux Kernel Runtime Guard (LKRG), as already
> mentioned on lkrg-users (so not CC'ing to there now), and three
> repositories related to John the Ripper: the main JtR jumbo repository
> (now called simply "john"), as well as "john-packages" (Claudio Andre's
> automated builds for Windows and Flatpak packaging for Linux) and
> "johnny" (Johnny the GUI, which previously lived under Shinnok's GitHub
> account).  We're still fixing a few things (such as our Continuous
> Integration setup for JtR jumbo development), but overall the move seems
> seamless for the users - old links redirect to where they should, etc.

Of course, we fixed the CI setup back then.  Then Travis CI mostly
discontinued their support for Open Source (was good while it lasted,
and we paid them for one last month as a final thank-you), yet Circle CI
continues to work well.  We also intend to look into other options, and
expect this will be changing all the time.

> There are a few more Git repositories we might potentially move from
> people's personal accounts.

We've since added more John the Ripper related repositories, including
john-tests (the test suite, moved from a personal GitHub account) and
john-samples (sample (non-)hashes, moved from the wiki).  Both of these
have had further commits made to them under the Openwall org (so the
samples on the wiki are now an older revision, and Git is the latest).

Nearby, there's also john-core freshly imported from CVS.  It's similar
to the "core" branch that existed in the Git repository with jumbo
before, but is a much cleaner import.

> We didn't touch our CVS repositories yet.  We might move them to Git and
> to the Openwall organization on GitHub later.

This is now done, mostly due to prodding and help by ABC (who is also a
co-author of our blists web interface to mailing list archives).  All
projects previously maintained in CVS on their own and those that were
maintained as part of Owl now have their per-project Git repositories
under the Openwall organization on GitHub.  Further development will
proceed with the Git repositories as upstream (and has already proceeded
for passwdqc, to be announced separately).

There's also an export of the entire Owl CVS tree to Git and onto
GitHub, but this one might be redone later, possibly multiple times
(it's scripted).  There's currently no intent to proceed with Owl
development any further: Owl has effectively reached its end-of-life.
There might still be a few minor changes made to Owl such as to continue
to use it for testing of our other software that was part of Owl before
and possibly to fix bugs that matter on specific remaining installs.
Those minor changes are not worth the effort to update the legacy build
infrastructure that has some ties to CVS and will likely be retired
after only a little bit more use.  (For example, for passwdqc there's
now detailed recent commits history in Git, but only per-version CVS
commits into Owl to get those changes tested some more by reusing the
setup we already had for that - because why not if it helps make our
upcoming passwdqc releases more reliable with little effort.)

In total, there are now 22 repositories under the Openwall organization
on GitHub.

Alexander