Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 11:21:25 +0100
From: John Spencer <maillist-busybox@...fooze.de>
To:  sabotage@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: changing/fixing the tarballs in the butch

will cunningham wrote:
> Firefox just compiles until it runs out of something.  It didn't run out of
> disk space yesterday but finally ran out of some IO somewhere, but it did
> run out of ram the day before compiling it and I realized I hadn't added my

yeah it's quite resource-heavy. iirc the minimum that i needed to get it
built is 2GB of RAM with 1GB swap. also you'd need at least 3-4 gb free
in /src/build and /tmp.
so usually i only build it on a desktop system with loads of RAM, cores
and HDD space.

> swap partition to fstab, and that time it said specifically that it was a
> memory problem.
>
> Also, butch keeps rebuilding things that are already installed.  Is this
> something that happens to you?

no, this never happens to me. could you elaborate ?
in general "butch rebuild pkg" just rebuilds "pkg" and none of pkg's
dependencies. what's the exact command you're using?
and keep in mind there's only one instance of butch that should be
running at a given time since they're all trying to write butch.db.

> I'm also on an x86_64 machine so there must be something different if
> you're not having these problems.  If I can't figure it out in the next
> couple, I'll start again and see if these problems come up in the chroot
> environment, as it could be something in how I've loaded it on my hard

for best results i'd just build the problematic packages straight after
stage1 so there's no additional libraries that could trigger optional
dependencies (like in qt4).
ofc even better would be to detect the problems and explicitly disable
the unwanted optional features.

> drive, and/or configured my kernel, the system etc, though that seems kind
> of odd.
>
> onward,
>
> Will

--JS