Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2014 22:46:21 -0600
From: will cunningham <willpanther@...il.com>
To: sabotage@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: changing/fixing the tarballs in the butch

Firefox just compiles until it runs out of something.  It didn't run out of
disk space yesterday but finally ran out of some IO somewhere, but it did
run out of ram the day before compiling it and I realized I hadn't added my
swap partition to fstab, and that time it said specifically that it was a
memory problem.

Also, butch keeps rebuilding things that are already installed.  Is this
something that happens to you?

I'm also on an x86_64 machine so there must be something different if
you're not having these problems.  If I can't figure it out in the next
couple, I'll start again and see if these problems come up in the chroot
environment, as it could be something in how I've loaded it on my hard
drive, and/or configured my kernel, the system etc, though that seems kind
of odd.

onward,

Will

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 7:25 PM, will cunningham <willpanther@...il.com>
wrote:

> OK, if I'm gonna get these built I need to understand butch better and
> play with it for a couple.
>
> I must be something obvious, but how to I uninstall a package with butch?
>
> If I want to change flags, should I do that at the pkg file level, or is
> there some way to pass that in on the command line when I type butch
> install.
>
> onward,
>
> Will
>
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 4:43 PM, John Spencer <
> maillist-busybox@...fooze.de> wrote:
>
>> will cunningham wrote:
>>

>>> This was a long way of saying bye bye Firefox, hello Webkit2!  This is an
>>> exciting moment for me.
>>>

>> all usable browsers are a horribly bloated C++ mess.
>> since google's chrome is 2+GB of gzipped sourcecode, we went for firefox
>> which is ~120MB. i don't think webkit2 is much better than that.
>> maybe at some point netsurf will become usable...
>>
>> --JS

Content of type "text/html" skipped