Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:45:23 +0000
From: Justin Cormack <justin@...cialbusservice.com>
To: sabotage@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: starting Sabotage project/booting off the hard drive

On Oct 27, 2014 2:35 PM, "will cunningham" <willpanther@...il.com> wrote:

> Fellow Sabateur's,
>
> Well I'm more of a sab looking to earn his wings, a small intro before
getting rolling, my emails'll be technical after explaining where I'm at...

> I'm a couple months into a long term project to use Sabotage as a base to
clean up/customize a small set of apps we use including dependencies, and
get myself to the next level of Linux control/knowledge along the way.
Apologies in advance that while I've used Linux since 2000, I only know
standard distro usage for Gentoo, Arch and Debian(Lilo Grub) etc, and for
your answers, please feel free to point me at docs to read up on, as I'm
just learning things like inittab is just for Sysv etc.

> I'm kind of too rock for country too country for rock n roll as we've
done things like compile our own kernel when using Gentoo, but did it in
the most standard way(make menuconfig etc) and it's taking a while to find
where you put the kernel etc.  I also understand that some of the things
I'll be trying I'm a bit of a guinea pig here, but I think it'll help the
distro to test real world usage as I get control over Sabotage.

> I've bought an Optiplex 745 here in the office for this, and in a Debian
install I've gotten Sabotage running as both changeroot and from Qemu using
your scripts to make a .img file.  I've never used Qemu, so this took a
while to get handy at.

> I'm stuck trying to take the Sabotage directory I changeroot into to boot
off the hard drive.  I copied it to a usb drive; using fdisk from an Arch
cd I repartitioned the hard drive and loaded the Sabotage directory from
the USB drive to /dev/sda1 and I've tried to get the MBR in proper Extlinux
form, with different combinations of first trying to get the Debian install
to run off Syslinux, and then using the Arch cd to tweek for Extlinux, but
I ain't getting my Sabotage boot directory extlinux.conf file read when
booting yet.

> Also, when copying the Sabotage directory to the USB drive I lost the
symbolic links used(which makes sense as they're soft links).

> So what should I do next to get my Sabotage directory booting off the
hard drive, or should I install Sabotage in  a Debian install again and
take a different route for this?

> OK, sorry for the long email, but I wanted you to understand that I have
no problem with loading/reloading puttering tinkering etc while we get this
going.

If you are losing symlinks you are probably losing a lot more. Use "cp -a"
or rsync to copy the files which will preserve permissions, devices. You
need to copy as root too.

Justin

Content of type "text/html" skipped