Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 18:01:50 +0200
From: Paul Schutte <sjpschutte@...il.com>
To: John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>
Cc: sabotage@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: socklog

Hi,

I have asked because I thought it might be controversial.

The reason behind this is that some software (rpcbind comes to mind) insist
on having something listening on /dev/log.

Socklog can provide that and also do logging of messages from  /proc/kmsg
which I believe svlogd can not do on its own.

Regards
Paul

On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 5:27 AM, John Spencer <maillist-musl@...fooze.de>wrote:

> On 09/16/2013 09:05 PM, Paul Schutte wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Do you guys think we should add this to sabotage:
>>

> feel free to fork sabotage on github, add new stuff and open pull requests
> whenever you feel the need for a new package.
> (but please read the contributing section in the README before).
> sabotage development happens mostly on github, not on the maillist.
> you also get a quicker reply if you open an issue there.
>

>> http://smarden.org/socklog/
>>
>> It ties in nicely with the runit system that sabotage uses.
>>
>> It provides /dev/log for programs that need it and other logging
>> complimentary to svlogd.
>>

> are there cases for which svlogd is insufficient ? if yes, which ones ?

Content of type "text/html" skipped