Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:54:28 -0700
From: Code Monkeyboy <popa3d@...pc.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re:  Re: connecting via Thunderbird

> A little more diagnosis:  /var/log/messages has some things from popa3d, as
> when I log on as root and then execute popa3d from the command line to
> look at my mailbox (I say USER JRM etc.).  Looks OK.

Ah, I think I see what your problem is.

popa3d is a daemon, not a "user program" to be run whenever you want POP3
services.

Please read the setup/install notes in the distribution.

> However, if I log on to Linux as JRM and try to execute popa3d it says
> "command not found", even if I cd to /usr/sbin where the executable is.
> So I suspect there is a permissions problem.  I have changed the
> permissions for popa3d in /usr/sbin to "everybody can execute" it still
> won't execute it for anybody except root.

popa3d isn't designed to be run by users, but rather via either an
inetd/xinetd issued runtime, *OR* run as a persistent standalone daemon out of
/etc/rc.d/*

If your server's anticipated pop3 load is low, I'd just add (or replace)
whatever entry you have in /etc/inetd.conf (or /etc/xinet.d/*) to run popa3d
on the POP3 port.

> Is there a config file for popa3d somewhere?

No, its configuration is compiled into the daemon.  It's lean-and-mean.

=R=