Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 01:51:52 -0800
From: "Hallgrimur H. Gunnarsson" <hhg@...a.is>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Case sensitive

On 20.02.2004 Martin Kanarr <martin@...nn.net> wrote:
> I noticed that popa3d is case sensitive, based on the POP3 RFC shouldn't POP AUTH been case insensitive and is there any option or patch available to make usernames case insensitive?  Thanks!

Afaik, the pop3 rfc does not require usernames to be case insensitive.
That decision is left to the pop3 server's discretion. In popa3d's instance,
it depends on the chosen authentication method.

For example, getpwnam() and getspnam() are usually case sensitive on linux,
unless, perhaps, if you've chosen a different nss database. This means,
that if you've chosen passwd or shadow authentication in popa3d, usernames
will be case sensitive. If you've chosen PAM, then it depends on the relevant
PAM module. I don't know if any PAM modules have an option for case insensitive
usernames.

An easy solution, and common in other pop3 servers, is to convert the username
to lowercase before it is supplied to the respective authentication mechanism.
Here's such a patch for popa3d:

http://www.data.is/~hhg/popa3d/popa3d-0.6.4-loweruser-1.diff

-- hhg