Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:36:04 -0800
From: "Doug Jolley" <ddjolley@...mail.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Compile Problems

>Are your mailboxes really in /var/mail?

No, they're not.  I have made the correction.  I really thought that might
be the entire
problem.  It wasn't.  However, thanks to your comments, I was able to
prevail as
described below.

>Does the syslog show some messages from popa3d?

Yes, and that's the clue to the solution.  The problem is that Slack gives
us the pristine source
and they don't tell us how they have hacked it.  For whatever reason, Slack
didn't stick with
the user that was setup in the pristine source (i.e., popa3d).  Instead they
used a user 'pop'.
That's where I got into trouble.  Of course, it's obvious once one sees it.

<SOAPBOX>
Although I'm an avid Slackware fan, it sure would be nice if they would go
to an RPM-based
packaging system.  That way we can see both the pristine source *AND* how it
has been
hacked to work with the relevant distro.  Otherwise, in the absence of a
compelling reason to
do otherwise, I think it would be good to follow the pristine source as
closely as possible.  Here
it appears that Slackware didn't like the user 'popa3d' for some obscure
reason so they
substituted their own.  That creates a conflict so that when one compiles
the pristine source
it doesnt' work.  Oh well --
</SOAPBOX>

Anyway, Georg, it was your reminder to check the syslog messages that
unraveled this mess
for me.  THANKS A BATCH!

      ... doug