Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:54:42 -0800
From: "Doug Jolley" <ddjolley@...mail.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: RE: WELCOME to popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com

Hi --

I'm running Slackware 9.0.  All day I've been trying to compile popa3d.  The
compile instructions
seem to be quite straight forward and it seems to compile just fine.  I get
an executable of
18896 bytes.  The problem is that it doesn't seem to work for me after I
have it compiled.  It doesn't
even give me a version if I invoke it with a -V argument.  It just returns
silently to the command
prompt.  I really thought I was doing something wrong in the compile.  I
notice that Slackware's
pre-compiled version is much larger at 22856 bytes.

In desperation I went to your web site thinking that I would download new
source and give that
a try.  I downloaded version 0.6.4.  Much to my surprise, however, it was a
compiled binary.
And, guess what?  It's exactly the same size as my compiled binary (i.e.,
18896 bytes) and it
behaves exactly the same way, e.g., just returning silently to the command
prompt when invoked
with a -V argument.

Obviously, I'm missing something here.  My compiled binary is the same exact
size as yours
and I can't get either yours or mine to work.  Slackware's works just fine;
but, I can't figure out
what they did in their compile to come up with a much larger executable.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?  Thanks for any input.