Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:25:12 +1000
From: "Daniel" <email@...vatecage.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Built In SSL Support

>On 17/08/2003 at 4:01 am Solar Designer wrote:
>Yes, that's been on TODO for a long time now.  I don't agree with your
>assertion that this is crucial, but I do see several reasons why SSL
>support in popa3d would be preferred over stunnel:

Cool.

The cruciality (if that's a real word) I was referring to is my ability
to present *secure* solutions to clients. Secure in my mind is by
design, by default, not by using a 'glue' app like stunnel ( as useful as it is).

>Of course, implementing SSL support into popa3d would require that any
>calls into OpenSSL are done from another forked process with reduced
>privileges.

Well at least we can agree that *is* crucial ;-)

>RFC 1939 is mostly fine.  There're other RFCs which define various
>POP3 extensions.  I don't think there's any need in having them all
>defined in some new RFC which would obsolete RFC 1939.

Yes, you're probably right.

>You're taking your anti-GPL'ism to the extreme.  GPL doesn't prevent
>you from reading GPL'ed source code, quite the opposite.  To say that
>GPL'ed source code is generally lower quality than BSD-copyrighted, as
>you might imply, would be wrong.

I'm anything but extreme. That's why I choose BSD ... the middle gound.
I don't want the FSF to start insisting I call OpenBSD -> GNU/OpenBSD
or such. I'm very firm in my opinion here.

However, I certainly was not implying that BSD code is superior
than GPL'd. Programmers make the code not the licence.

But people need to get a clear understanding of the differences.
Believe me, it's in their interest to do so.

>I don't know when I might get around to doing that.  It will
>definitely not happen soon unless some company would want to sponsor
>that work.  Meanwhile, stunnel should be fine for most uses.

Yes I understand time/financial constraints very well ;-)

I predict in the near future, you'll find increasing interest by
companies to do just that. We really are moving into a new
era where companies are realising a genuine alternative exists,
(open source). And this could lead to forming genuine professional
relationships with developers such as yourself.

I'm trying to get my company off the ground to ensure this happens.
But that's another story .....

> pop3s would be supported on OpenBSD out of the box (stunnel will
>hardly ever get into their base tree).

stunnel will *never* get into the base tree of OpenBSD ;-)

I dont' know how complex or time consuming it will be for you
to put OpenSSL support into popa3d. I'm just a sysadmin.

But I appreciate that you've got the matter in hand.

thanks,

hotdiggedydog (Daniel)
[ www.privatecage.com ]
[ www.thebsdwindows.com ]
"The number one cause of computer problems is computer solutions."