Date: 19 Jun 2003 09:25:53 +0800
From: Uwe Dippel <udippel@...ten.edu.my>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Using Popa3d

Juan,

seems you have to read up a bit, yes.
Here a few little helpers:
Firstly, mail consists of two parts: forwarding and access.
mailservers throughout are for access / delivery. So is popa3d.
I don't know about Slackware, but on my system the users have mailboxes
under /var/mail. The system creates a box automatically as soon as a
user receives a mail. So whatever is in that box, it will be delivered
to the client as pop-mail as soon as that client is configured. Or
easier: when the user logs in to that system, the system will inform the
user: You have mail.
To actually get mail into those boxes, you need a transfer agent
(sendmail, postfix, etc), whose tasks are to forward mail; either to a
local box or another machine.
So your Send: juan@....168.0.100 firstly needs that agent ('MTA') on the
box from which you are sending, out to 192.168.0.100. Then on that
192.168.0.100 an MTA needs to find out that it is for local delivery.
And accept it and pass it into the mailbox of juan.
This last part is the most difficult one, due to 'relaying'. Think of
spam. The MTA must not accept anything that hasn't originated from your
domain *or* is to be delivered to your domain! The default settings of
MTAs in the good old days was: try to be helpful: if
spammer@...xist.domain.com sent mail to your MTA for
billg@...rosoft.com, your MTA would helpfully pass it on. This is called
'relaying' and must not happen any more.
So, instead of debugging popa3d, you better start with the MTA. Try to
send local mail from user1 to user2. When user2 logs on, "You have
mail"; or you look at /var/mail/user2 directly ('less' / 'ls -l').
As soon as this works out, popa3d will probably do a good job as well.
But start with the MTA !

Good luck,

Uwe