Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 21:13:19 +1000
From: Mick <asurfer@...g.com.au>
To:  popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Why "Didn't attempt authentication"?

Hi.

I installed popa3d on a web server which I administer and which has only
2 email accounts, those being only my own and the other for the owner of
the domain (and the server itself).
I saw the same messages in the log file appearing every 10 minutes. I
surmised that it was the owner's email client periodically checking for
mail (whereas my mail client is set to automatically check once every 5
minutes). He uses Outlook while I use Mozilla mail. I also noticed that
this occurred when after Outlook checked for mail, it spat out one last
TCP packet after the last one with the FIN flag being sent. It appears
that it was this extraneous packet which causes the pop3 server to
register (and to log) the error which you are seeing.

As an experiment, I temporarily installed another pop3 server and saw
the same error messages in it's logfile as well.