Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:56:36 +0000
From: "Hallgrimur H. Gunnarsson" <hhg@...a.is>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Quotas

On  0, Silvestre Malta <smalta@...ximedia.pt> wrote:

Hi,

> I would like to know when a client get's is mail
> where does popa3d put the temporary copy of mailbox ?
>
> i would like to know also if it is possible to change
> the location where popa3d puts temp mailbox
> i need to chage tmp mailbox to a filesystem that not have
> quotas on ...

Popa3d, unlike qpopper and others, does not make a temporary
copy of the mailbox. Instead it works on the original mailbox.

This is described by Solar Designer in the DESIGN file.

<quote>
        Interaction with other MUAs.

	Similarly to cucipop (but unlike qpopper), popa3d works on the
	original mailbox file, without copying.  However, unlike
	cucipop,
	popa3d is able to ensure that the mailbox doesn't get corrupted
	if
	another MUA modifies it during the POP session.  Before each
	mailbox
	access, popa3d checks its timestamp and, if that has changed,
	determines if that is due to new mail that has just been
	delivered, or
	other changes made to the mailbox.  In the latter case, the POP
	session is silently aborted (which doesn't violate the RFC).
	popa3d
	is careful to make sure the timestamp will change if the mailbox
	is
	written to, by keeping the lock for up to a second if necessary.
</quote>

So, concerning your quota question, it shouldn't be an issue.

-- hhg