Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 17:44:21 +0200
From: Torgny Bjers <tb@...s.se>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: popa3d syslogs / sendmail POP-before-SMTP

At 19:36 2003-04-15 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:
>On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 09:35:57AM +0200, Torgny Bjers wrote:
> > I recently fired up my Sendmail server, and I have been toying with
> > POP-before-SMTP. I downloaded poprelayd for sendmail
> > (http://poprelay.sourceforge.net/) that checks the maillog log file for
> > successful pop3 logins. This doesn't seem to work all that well with
> popa3d
> > since it stores its log entries in at least two different logs (Slackware
> > 9.0) which is 'secure' and 'messages'.  What the script needs is the
> > "Authenticated" and the IP entry on the same row.
> >
> > I saw a note on the popa3d homepage about a whoson patch that would be the
> > preferred method to do POP-before-SMTP, which I looked at briefly,
> although
> > I could not derive too much from the patch itself.
>
>You need to follow the link for whoson (off popa3d homepage).  There's
>also now a newer whoson patch for popa3d 0.6.2/0.6.3.
>
> > The other option would be for me to simply alter the log message sent to
> > syslog to include the IP, perhaps.  I'll try that as well.
>
>popa3d-0.4-before-sendmail.tar.gz in contrib/ has a patch to do that.

Thank you for your reply.

I gave up on whoson. After a clean compile and install of whoson (I got
Slackware 9.0), I fired up the whosond daemon, but whenever I connected to
it, either by checking my POP mail (after having correctly patched both
Sendmail and popa3d), or by calling whoson directly, it segfaulted. Boom.
So I scrapped it and installed ipop3d instead, which worked on the fly with
poprelayd. I'll attempt the patch for the log messages, though.

Kind Regards,
Torgny Bjers