Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 03:03:37 +1100
From: Mick <asurfer@...g.com.au>
To:  popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: popa3d[28669]: Didn't attempt authentication

Hello

The subject line appears in /var/log/messages once every 10 minutes on
my Redhat 7.3 based system.
At the moment, there is only one user accessing the pop server on that
machine and I can see when he successfully authenticates and retrieves
his email. Other than that, no one else has a pop3 account on that
server (I have my emails to me from that machine forwarded to my work
email address via postfix) and the only cron entry I can find that runs
once every 10 minutes is a cron job - /etc/cron.d/sysstat which runs a
program called sa1:

# run system activity accounting tool every 10 minutes
*/10 * * * * root /usr/lib/sa/sa1 1 1

and which according to the manapge summary:

"sa1 - Collect and store binary data in the system activity daily data
file."

However, as it is simply a stats collector, I can't see how this would
be attempting to connect to the popa3d daemon.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why else these messages are being
generated once every 10 minutes?

Thanks in Advance.

Mick.