Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 03:35:35 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: popa3d with the patch from bartek marcinkiewicz

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 10:05:45PM +0100, Sascha Knoll wrote:
> I'm running popa3d on OpenBSD 3.1 and patched it with
> the patch from bartek marcinkiewicz (contrib/popa3d)
> to be able to use it together with Pop-before-smtp.
> The result is, if I start it through popa3d -D it
> loggs the session-ip to /var/log/daemon, if inetd
> starts it (pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/popa3d popa3d)
> the session-ip isn't logged?!
> What's the reason for this behaviour?

It's described in INSTALL:

| Note: when started via an inetd clone, the logging of connections is
| left up to that inetd clone or TCP wrappers.

> And is it possible to force popa3d to log into /var/log/maillog?
> The manpage doesn't give any clues..

The logging is done via syslogd, so you configure it in
/etc/syslog.conf.  You might need to assign a dedicated logging
facility to popa3d, that is done in its params.h.

Both of your questions (without the POP-before-SMTP bit, though) have
been previously discussed on this list, so I suggest that you search
the archives:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=popa3d-users&s=logging

--
/sd