Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 19:20:51 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com,
	James Olsen <jamesml@...netolsen.com>
Subject: Re: Question about using popa3d and stunnel

On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 09:52:06AM -0600, James Olsen wrote:

James,

> I believe I have everything set up as properly as I can figure out,
> but I'm still running into trouble. I am getting "popa3d[28274]:
> Didn't attempt authentication" in the logs. I believe, though, my
> client is authenticating as it did before with username and password.
> I'm still trying to troubleshoot my configuration of stunnel and my
> email client, but I'm hoping I might be able to get some helpful ideas
> from someone who has already set up stunnel and popa3d.

Well, someone might be able to help you if you posted your
configuration (both server and client).

All I can say is that people are using popa3d with stunnel and it
works.

The setup that we use at work is based around a patched ancient
version of stunnel, so I am unable to post a sample configuration
myself, but I hope someone else will.

Also, a Google search for "stunnel popa3d" gives pointers to quite a
few other mailing list discussions on this topic, some with sample
configurations.

Also relevant is:

http://www.suspectclass.com/~sgifford/stunnel-tlsproxy/stunnel-tlsproxy.html

but please note that you don't really have to go for this level of
complexity (supporting STLS), pop3s (995/tcp) should be enough and
doesn't require any patching of anything involved.

It's a really good idea to have stunnel running as a dedicated
pseudo-user (I don't know if this still requires patching, it used
to).  There have been numerous security holes discovered in both
stunnel itself and in OpenSSL that it uses.

--
/sd