Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2002 12:00:33 +0200
From: FAI - Thierry Montigneaux <thierrym@....org>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Problem with nb of connectiosn from single host

Hello,

I am using popa3d on an OpenBSD box which is acting as our mail gateway.
This box hosts the accounts for about 105 email lists we are running. The
list server (hosted on a separate server) connects to this gateway every 5
minutes to process mail for the lists + admin commands.

This means that there are about 105 POP connections coming in from the same
host every 5 minutes.

Until now, I was running popa3d from INETD. This morning I tried to switch
to using it as a Daemon... I get the following error message when doing so
:

popa3d[4053]: 192.168.1.8: per source limit reached

I guess popa3d is interpreting the connections from 192.168.1.8 as attempts
to flood the system as there are many POP sessions coming in in sequence.

As our mail gateway is firewalled from the outside on the port used by POP3
and our other server is the only machine connecting to the POP port, I am
not too worried about these flooding problems.

Is there any parameter, or way to fine tune popa3d to accept those 105
connections every 5 minutes without problems ?

The reason I am interested in using popa3d as a daemon instead of through
inetd is because our box is rather busy and the popa3d man page advertises
the fact that this mode of operation is less resource intensive for the
server.

Thanks for any hint.

Thierry