Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 20:50:03 +0000
From: Caleb White <Caleb.White@...c.edu>
To: "passwords@...ts.openwall.com" <passwords@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Re: Keeping old passwords

On 05/16/2018 4:14 PM, e wrote:
>especially when they have no information to make this decision.

I'm the thoughtless "contributor" that Solar mentioned, so obviously I share your sentiments - but I'm sorry, in the example discussed Google absolutely has information to make that decision. Unless they are willing to make the dangerous assumption that Tor traffic is safe, this case must look extremely suspect based on the information they have. Most users probably only log in from a few IPs in a discrete geographic area - suddenly logging in from all around the world probably looks very similar to stuffing of breached credentials by many parties.

I'm all for calling out Google on the ridiculous and anti-user things they do, but I feel that you are arguing from emotion and not reason in this specific case.

Solar, there's no confusion - thank you for moderating these lists extremely well. I appreciate all you do for us, including reigning me in!

Regards,
Caleb

This e-mail, including any attachments, is intended only for the addressee's use and may contain confidential and proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, reproduction, or use of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail by error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender. Thank you for your cooperation.