Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 06:37:55 -0400
From: Willard Dawson <willard.dawson@...il.com>
To: passwords@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>, Jim Fenton <fenton@...epopcorn.net>
Subject: Re: keyed hash vs. encryption

Your comments resonate with my own recent thoughts, Arnold. At work, when
giving feedback to system designs involving 3rd party who is using a
reasonably secure hashing format, where do we ($dayjob) draw the line at
what is minimally secure password complexity requirements? As you say, "it
depends," on the hash format, on available computing power at any given
time. The best we can hope to do is get a "reasonable" set of rules there.
Problem is, security teams at most companies will stop well short of a
meaningful policy, putting everyone affected at increased risk. The
tolerance for truly complex passwords is nowhere near where it needs to be,
and never will be. Humans are mostly incapable of it. A meeting might help,
but I think it will ultimately come down to the perceived risk vs. cost,
and that discussion has to happen near enough to the top of organizations
where such budgets are approved. Problem is, that discussion often leads to
"we've not been hacked yet, so why spend extra money on a problem we'll
pretend we don't have?"

--
Willard Dawson
(678) 230-3461