Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 20:11:58 +0300
From: ArkanoiD <ark@...ex.net>
To: passwords@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: 2-Factor vs Authentication

I remember well how it all began.

I used OTP device since 1996, it was Prolinear Pocket PC (an MS-DOS
handheld), with S/Key calculator (now known to be broken, ironically)  --
and I tried to convince other people in the company to use OTP too, either
way (desktop, handheld or whatever) without much success.Then it was my
first smartphone, Nokia 9000i, in 1998.

When SMS authentication was invented a few years later, it was KNOWN to be
insecure, and it was widely discussed at that time (and yes, SS7 and fake
base station attacks were mentioned that early as well). The common
consensus was that SMS is bad and insecure, yet attacks are expensive and
rare enough so there is some value in this "poor man's OTP", still
SMS+password being better than password alone, thus adding extra layer
won't hurt.

What could possibly go wrong? :-)) It was never meant to be the only factor.

Content of type "text/html" skipped