Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 12:41:36 +0200
From: "e@...tmx.net" <e@...tmx.net>
To: passwords@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: 2-Factor vs Authentication

2-Factor "Auth": Something you know + Something you have

(if you prefer HTML formatting, read the
http://ithipster.com/34.html)

Previously (in "What Makes Your Password Yours" and "Auth vs ID") We
have established that your exclusive and complete control over your
password makes the password belong to you, and this is the one and only
characteristic property of a valid password. Now, we are to scrutinize
the second member of the 2-Factor formula.

Peeking at the final page of the story, the picture above is lying to
you blatantly and insultingly. It could be true, however, if you are
using a password plus a custom (sufficiently unique) hardware token, but
is not the case. The proponents of «2-Factor» call for using your
telephone as the second «factor», and it requires some clarification,
what is «your phone» and how is it associated with you.

Do you own «something you have»?

The typical «2F» scheme is the following: the service provider sends a
one-time password on a previously known phone number; then the user
inputs this one-time password, as a proof of receiving it — supposedly
this scheme should establish a fact: the user is in possession of a
telephone associated with the given phone number. The information core
of this scheme is the one-time token making its way through a 3rd party
network to the user and back to the service provider… and it is
absolutely safe and logically consistent — the trouble is in the phone.

The scheme presumes that since its initiation the given phone number is
still associated with a phone in your possession and this phone is the
only recipient of the message. Both assumptions are atrociously stupid
and deranged from reality. Nevertheless they effectively define your
may think about «your» phone number it is not yours by any stretch of
imagination.

Do you have any control of «your» phone number? No you don't. You may
merely ask your service provider to perform certain (irrelevant to our
topic) manipulations with «your» number, but can you guarantee the most
important property of it (required by the 2-Factor) that the number will
remain assigned to you next minute? NO YOU CAN NOT! The number belongs
to your service provider and they have complete and exclusive control
over it (and even that is questionable). Similarly you do not own «your»
belong to other people whom you do not know even by names!

Your typical second token in the 2-Factor does not belong to you, not
even slightly.

Well, you may now claim: "but it is only the second! you still need your
password" and bla-bla-bla ignoring the fact that this argument of yours
destroys the necessity of this second factor altogether…

My initial intention was to say: just wait a little bit, soon enough it
will become the first, but the «soon enough» had happened before I
finished the sentence. The youtuber Boogie2988 was hacked (his youtube
account was closed and all his works deleted). According to his own
testimony: Someone has seized my phone number and then using SMS
«authentication» seized the control over my account.

And keep in mind, the security experts do not give two shits about your
security, their primary concern is PROFIT, and what is the most
profitable activity in Computer Science? — Reproducing the mainstream
bullshit, no matter how harmful and dangerous.