Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 23:37:39 +0200
From: "e@...tmx.net" <e@...tmx.net>
To: passwords@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Password creation policies

> To avoid confusion, let me start by defining what I mean when talking
> about password creation policies vs password creation strategies.
>
> A password creation strategy is an individual's approach to password
> security. It involves their own sense of how to pick a password, where
> to use it, where to store it, etc.
>
> A password creation policy is an organization's rules governing password
> usage.

These are exactly my definitions, I have implied and failed to articulate.

> To respond to your point, yes policies can be viewed as marketing and
> coercion. Making people wear seat-belts in cars could be classified the
> same way.

Exactly! (by the way, seat-belts should not be enforced as long as the
driver is alone in the car, same with the "P. policies")

My point is:
The p.policies discussion can not precede p.strategy discussion.
When we are done with defining "password strength",
then we can talk about p.strategy, and only when we figure out a good
strategy, then we can try to build a p.policy on top of it.

> Rules can be good or bad. Part of the effort to
> make sure they are the least burdensome as possible while achieving
> maximum benefit requires open dialog about them though.

taking in account "state of the art"
the best move here and now is to trash all present p.policies.
quote:
"Shannon Entropy based policies provide no actionable information for
the defender, while being overly burdensome..." [i forgot the rest]

I only want to add WHY exactly this is the case,
because
(a) S.Entropy is based on a GUESS: "the universum of expected outcomes"
which is outright irrelevant to our problem.
(b) policy creators are retarded and instead of bottom-limiting the
length they attempt to extend the alphabet which is plainly futile.
(all in all they took a wrong measure and failed to implement it)

-Eugene