Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 20:00:51 +0200
From: "e@...tmx.net" <e@...tmx.net>
To: passwords@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Password creation policies

Hello, all.

We must abandon the entire notion of a "policy", if we want a serious
discussion about passwords.

The "password creation policy" concept is deeply MISLEADING. It confuses
all our objectives and analytical tools with marketing and coercion.

We were talking (if only we can call it "talking") on twitter about
defining and measuring password strength. Soon the discussion slipped
into the "policy" discourse. Words fail me! -- how irrelevant your
futile attempts to influence people are to the problem of password
creation STRATEGY.

the attacker's and defender's strategies should be the subject.

[two paragraphs of swearing are skipped]