Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 14:53:03 -0500
From: "James Dietrich" <jdietrch@...tmail.fm>
To: passwdqc-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: how to require use of specific character classes

Hello,

Suppose that a password policy requires that passwords include at least one each of lower-case letters, upper-case letters, and digits. How could one configure pam_passwdqc to implement this?

I had been using pam_cracklib for this, and accomblished the above with these options:
lcredit=-1 ucredit=-1 dcredit=-1
Having recently learned of pam_cracklib's deprecation, I wanted to replace it with something else. I first tried pam_passwdqc, but could not figure out how to make it require that passwords include at least one each of lower-case letters, upper-case letters, and digits. So I ended up switching to pam_pwquality, which is backwards compatible with pam_cracklib. That works, but I'd still like to know if it's possible to accomplish the same thing with pam_passwdqc.

Thank you,
James Dietrich