Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2013 09:29:26 +0000
From: "johnfoobar" <johnfoobar@...mail.org>
To: passwdqc-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: failing to force random passwords with random=only

Hi,

I'd like to force random passwords on a RHEL 6.4 system with
pam_passwdqc-1.0.5-6

The password section in system-auth-ac looks like this:

password    required	  pam_passwdqc.so random=15,only
password    sufficient    pam_unix.so sha512 shadow try_first_pass
use_authtok
password    required      pam_deny.so

When trying to change the password I get the following behavior:

$ passwd
Changing password for user foobar.
System configuration error.  Please contact your administrator.
Changing password for foobar.
(current) UNIX password:
passwd: Critical error - immediate abort

Without "random=15,only" these problems do not arise. I did also try
random=only without success.

Do you have any hints on what I'm doing wrong?

thanks!