Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 18:10:01 -1000
From: cpb <cpb@...416.org>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Minor problem with kernel 431stab123.1 VZ container networking

Hi, I am seeing a problem with the most recent Owl kernel from inside
the OpenVZ containers, which are also running Owl. Specifically:

These two things do not work inside i686 containers when the host is
running kernel-2.6.18-431.el5.028stab123.1.owl1.x86_64:

1. "ifconfig" inside the containers does not work:

    root@...tainer:/ # ifconfig
    SIOCGIFCONF: Bad address

2. Apache 2.2.34 (and 2.2.21) do not start, error_log shows:

    [Sat Jun 16 14:40:39 2018] [emerg] (14)Bad address: Couldn't set permissions on cross-process lock; check User and Group directives

These things work:

1. Everything on the host seems to work normally (like ifconfig).
2. Inside containers, sshd starts and works OK.
3. Inside containers, netstat -nr looks normal.
4. Inside containers, dmesg looks normal, no obvious errors.
5. When I revert the host kernel, containers go back to normal,
   meaning they works with kernel-2.6.18-419.el5.028stab122.4.owl1.x86_64

This is a minor problem and I am not asking for a solution. I just
wanted to mention it in case someone recognizes this problem or if there
are any simple things to try. I rebuilt the 431-stab123.1.owl1 kernel
with CONFIG_KAISER=n, but I must have done this improperly because the
host hung at boot (I editted dot-config-x86_64, then "make PACKAGE=kernel",
I know that's not the right way to disable a kernel build-time option,
but hey, it sure was easy!)

Thanks for listening, ideas welcome, do not think too hard about it.
Chris Bopp, Honolulu, HI

P.S. May I suggest adding libpopt-devel-static in installorder.conf so
the vztemplates can rebuild themselves without a patch?