Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 00:03:42 +0300
From: gremlin@...mlin.ru
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Owl future

On 2015-01-02 16:27:29 +0000, Simon Baker wrote:

 > Imho, without embracing kvm, and therefore taking on that
 > clusterfuck of a security model,

Whaaaat? I use Owl as a both VZ and KVM virtualization host without
any bloatware:

gremlin@...l:~ > psg win7
27690 ? Sl 24:24 qemu -enable-kvm -m 512 -display none
 -net nic,model=e1000
 -net tap,script=/etc/qemu/qemu-ifup-lan
 -monitor unix:/tmp/qemu/control/win7.image.sock,server,nowait
 -hda /home/KVM/win7.image

 > you cannot compete with red hat et al in the enterprise space.
 > That said, I don't believe that was ever your intention.

gremlin@...l:~ > nc -U /tmp/qemu/control/win7.image.sock
QEMU 1.4.0 monitor - type 'help' for more information
(qemu) info kvm
kvm support: enabled
(qemu) help migrate
migrate [-d] [-b] [-i] uri -- migrate to URI (using -d to not wait for
completion)
 -b for migration without shared storage with full copy of disk
 -i for migration without shared storage with incremental copy of disk
(base image shared between src and destination)

Do you need other KVM features? Qemu has all of them.
Do you want a Web interface? You are welcome to write a non-bloated one.
Do you expect qemu to appear in a mainstream? Everything is possible.

 > For me, Owl is turning in to an heirloom linux. And, that is not
 > a bad goal.

That's not a goal at all.

 > Keep it small, keep it safe, and keep it tidy.

We'd try... :-)

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin <gremlin ПРИ gremlin ТЧК ru>
GPG: 8832FE9FA791F7968AC96E4E909DAC45EF3B1FA8 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net