Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 04:58:40 -0400
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Owl 3.0 and Virtual Machine Setup?

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 3:15 AM,  <gremlin@...mlin.ru> wrote:
> On 19-Sep-2013 01:59:47 -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>
>  > I'm interested in setting up a virtual machine for testing Owl
>  > 3.0 from a development perspective. The development tasks include
>  > updating built-in components, editing source files, compiling,
>  > linking, punching holes in the firewall, and setting up jobs to
>  > launch at system startup.
>
> I'd recommend using OpenVZ containers (VPSes) for these rebuilds.
> Setting up a build environment is as simple as
Thanks Gremlin.

I don't have bare metal, so I'm concerned about performance: Mac OS X
running a Linux kernel running an OpenVZ virtual machine (am I reading
this right: http://openvz.org/Main_Page?). One virtual machine
stresses this MacBook (8 Cores with 8GB RAM), and two drops it to its
knees because of disk bottlenecks.

> build@...64:~ > lftp -e 'open ftp.ru.openwall.com; cd /pub/Owl/current; mirror -Lev sources; get native.tar.gz; exit' && tar -xzf native.tar.gz

Ah, ok. I'll try it when I get to that point.

Would you happen to know how to start the dhcp client? I don't have a
network connection at the moment.

So far, I've tried dhclient and received a "command not found". `man
-k dhcp` returned "nothing appropriate". I have not dug around on the
web yet. I often stumble around like this with administrivia, so its
no big deal.

>  > I'm trying to determine the base OS to use in setting up a
>  > virtual machine. One of the few relevant search engine hits was
>  > http://openwall.info/wiki/Owl/packages.
>  > So I'm clear: for Openwall 3.0 (Owl-3_0-stable-20130408-x86_64),
>
> For development, you may like the -current version: it's quite
> stable (personally I use it in the production environment) and
> fresh.
>
>  > I should chose a virtual machine based on Red Hat Enterprise 4?
>  > VMware is offering RHEL 3, 4, 5 and 6; but RHEL 4 seems kind of
>  > odd since its from 2005-2010 and Owl 3.0 is dated April 2013.
>  > [...]
>  > What base OS should I be using? Thanks in advance.
>
> RHEL 5 or RHEL 6 should be ok. Also, you can choose "other GNU/Linux
> system" and make all necessary changes manually.
Thanks again.

Jeff