Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 01:59:47 -0400
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Owl 3.0 and Virtual Machine Setup?

I'm interested in setting up a virtual machine for testing Owl 3.0
from a development perspective. The development tasks include updating
built-in components, editing source files, compiling, linking,
punching holes in the firewall, and setting up jobs to launch at
system startup.

I'm trying to determine the base OS to use in setting up a virtual
machine. One of the few relevant search engine hits was
http://openwall.info/wiki/Owl/packages.

So I'm clear: for Openwall 3.0 (Owl-3_0-stable-20130408-x86_64), I
should chose a virtual machine based on Red Hat Enterprise 4? VMware
is offering RHEL 3, 4, 5 and 6; but RHEL 4 seems kind of odd since its
from 2005-2010 and Owl 3.0 is dated April 2013.

I found something else from 2007, but I'm guessing its a bit dated
(http://www.openwall.com/lists/owl-users/2007/05/08/2).

What base OS should I be using? Thanks in advance.