Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 16:05:25 +0400
From: croco@...nwall.com
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: MySQL w/cmake: anyone tried packaging for Owl?

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 12:47:02AM +0200, John Spencer wrote:
> On 09/02/2013 04:34 PM, Solar Designer wrote:
>
> >I did not test this with MySQL/MariaDB specifically, but in general:
> >
> >cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/desired/target/dir

BTW, I can confirm now that this doesn't work: the RPM is created
successfully, but after installation the configuration files contain the
file names such as /home/joe/.rpm.d/buildroots/mysql-5.5.33/usr/bin/mysql
and the like, and certainly all the mess can't start, as the files are
installed to /usr/bin, not /home/.../buildroots/.../usr/bin

> >Alexander
> >

> quoting https://github.com/rofl0r/sabotage/blob/master/pkg/mysql
>
> SEGMENTS="Client Server IniFiles ManPages SharedLibraries"
> SEGMENTS="$SEGMENTS Development Documentation Info Readme"
>
> # FIXME: the cmake crap doesnt know how to install into DESTDIR
>
> for segment in $SEGMENTS; do
>    cmake DESTDIR=$butch_install_dir
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT=$segment -P cmake_install.cmake
> done

Unfortunately this doesn't help, at least for me.  Package build fails for
exactly the same reason at exactly the same point.  cmake_install.cmake
doesn't understand DESTDIR.  Perhaps I'll have to give up with packaging
and fall back to building from source, therefore abandoning the "Croco's
Owl Lamp" collection -- which is pity.

There's one thing I refuse to understand.  MySQL is used heavily around the
world, so there must be a lot of people who run into this trouble.  What
the hell is going on in this world if such a problem remains unaddressed?!

(and, heh, what's going on inside the heads of these _strange_ people who
make decisions like this, to start using dead-born stuff like cmake)

--
Croco