Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 15:21:44 +0400
From: misha shiposh <netsferato@...il.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: software raid with device busy status

Hi Bernhard!
In my case, I change my root fs from raid to second disk. And the second
disk is not any more in raid array.
After reboot, os booted from second disk, but array, as I think, array
monitor still holds /dev/hda1 and I cannot stop this array and do any
action with first disk....
By the way, /dev/md0 (array dev) is not mounted.
mdadm says that the status is clean and degraded. And the state of hda1 is
still active sync....

mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/hda1
I did it on the second disk, and it's ok.
But I cannot do this on the first disk (/dev/hda1).

On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Bernhard Fischer <fischerb@...cher-ing.de>wrote:

> Hi Misha,
>
> you can't stop /dev/md0 if it's your root filesystem. It's like cutting
> the branch you are sitting on.
>
> If you remove a device from a raid set, you may also clear the
> superblock for reusage.
>
> mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/hda1
>
> or do it the hard way
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1
>
> Check the other devices for proper bootloader installation. Otherwise
> your machine will refuse booting afterwards. You have to install the
> bootloader on every single device in the RAID set, to get it booting in
> the case of a disaster.
>

> -bernhard
>
> Am Di 07.05.2013 15:45 schrieb misha shiposh <netsferato@...il.com>:
>
> > Good day, guys!
> >
> > I was wander, if there are any faq or guides of how to totally destroy
> > raid
> > array?
> >
> > In my case I'll trying in a virtual sandbox to emulate this thing,
> > without
> > success...
> >
> > After I create software raid 1, I'll try to delete it with the
> > following
> > steps:
> >
> > Also this raid is root for my os,
> >
> > first delete one of disk
> > mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --fail /dev/hda1
> > mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --remove /dev/hda1
> >
> > then if I try to stop array md0 it says that it's busy.... no
> > wonder...
> > then I'll try to boot from removed disk and after that totally
> > removing
> > raid.
> >
> > and no success!
> >
> > stopping raid says it's busy, other way trying to delete the second
> > disk
> > without any result because of device is busy...
> >
> > is there any way to totally destroy raid ?
> >

> > Thanks!

Content of type "text/html" skipped