Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:46:52 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Owl2 VirtualBox Guest additions

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 12:39:07AM -0500, David Parrish wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 12:12 AM, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > What is the reason why you want these installed?
>
> The guest additions is what allows vagrant to do it's "magic",
> essentially making working with a VM much easier such as sharing
> folders, forwarding ports, etc.

Well, you may try with Owl 3.

> > > modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.32-ow1/modules.dep
> > > (No such file or directory)
> >
> > Yeah, Owl 2 used Linux 2.4.x kernels.  Note that even though WebEnabled
> > uses Owl 2 based Linux userlands (with other software added on top of
> > those), it uses them along with RHEL5'ish OpenVZ kernels from Owl 3.
>
> I might have an old VM.  It sure looked like my VM was Owl 2, but I
> could have been mistaken.

Like I tried to explain above, WenEnabled VPSes are in fact a mix of
Owl 2, extra software, and Owl 3 kernel on the host.  When you look from
the inside, you obviously don't see a kernel (any), because OpenVZ uses
a shared kernel for the entire machine.

What you're doing is different - you actually have a kernel inside of
your own VM - and you'd need it to be an Owl 3 kernel in order to have
any chance of the VirtualBox extra kernel modules working (if I
understood correctly).

> > > Are there any suggestions for installing the Guest Additions on Owl2?
> >
> > Don't do it?
>
> Haha!  I think that might be the best advice.  I'm going to ask
> Webenabled if they can setup a Ubuntu VM for me.  Vagrant compatible
> with Ubuntu and I a more familiar with it.  Otherwise, I think I'll
> settle for a CentOS development environment and call it close enough.

OK.  FYI, at WebEnabled only the Owl-based systems are Dashboard-linked.
You might get an Ubuntu or a CentOS instead, but it won't be linked.
Anyhow, this is getting off-topic for owl-users.

Alexander