Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 14:13:10 +0400
From: gremlin@...mlin.ru
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Owl kickstart

On 15-Dec-2012 15:59:42 -0500, David Parrish wrote:

 > I'm trying to script the Owl 2 installation process using veewee.
 > Right now I'm simplying creating a sequence of keys to pass to the
 > Owl installation wizard that comes with the iso image.

The `settle` is intended for interactive installation. For unattended
installation, you may wish to perform all those actions with a script
(except `fdisk`, but it may be easily automated using perl or another
scripting language, which allows bilateral IPC).

They are: `mke2fs`, `mkswap`, `swapon`, `mount`, `make installworld`,
a number of `echo` and `sed` invocations, `usermod`, `lilo`, and final
`reboot`

 > I was wondering if Owl creates a kickstart file after the install
 > which I could use to automate the installation.

It does not, as it's not needed. But... possibly, the installation
flash drive may store the script for subsequent setups...

 > The reason I am doing this is because my web host uses Owl 2 and I
 > want to try to match my development environment to production using
 > the vagrant tool. So, if anyone knows of a Owl VirtualBox image
 > already created, that could also be helpful.

Unless you develop something hardware-related, using the OpenVZ VPSes
may be more desirable.

 > Eventually I'd like to contribute the veewee template and my vagrant
 > basebox to the community.

TIA.

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
<gremlin ПРИ gremlin ТЧК ru>