Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 21:27:55 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Owl OpenVZ template - strange network configuration

On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 01:04:05PM +0400, gremlin@...mlin.ru wrote:
>     inet 127.0.0.1/24 scope host venet0
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     inet 172.31.255.0/32 scope global venet0:0
>                                             ^^
>
> For me it seems to be an ugly bug...

IIRC, this is vzctl scripts' workaround for some Red Hat distro's
networking startup scripts.  I don't know if our current scripts need
this workaround or not - probably not.  I suggest that we don't waste
time changing this until we've updated to new vzctl.

> And even worse, it looks like
> our init scripts still use /* several kilobytes of curses skipped */
> `ifconfig` instead of `ip` for configuring network devices.

The plan is to get the current/ancient network startup scripts that
we're still using committed directly into our native tree and then to
clean them up.

Alexander