Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:21:51 +0400
From: gremlin@...mlin.ru
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Customizing Owl to fit in a small sized USB Stick or CF

On 26-Mar-2012 12:48:05 +0400, Solar Designer wrote:

 > > > Gremlin had patches to add a new make target that would
 > > > generate flash images instead of ISOs. I think those were
 > > > primarily intended for installing systems from, and they
 > > > were for larger flash devices (1 GB being considered the
 > > > minimum anyone would likely happen to have handy anyway).
 > > Great info. Do you mean this one:
 > > ftp://ftp.gremlin.people.openwall.com/pub/linux/Owl/INSTALL/?
 > Almost. IIRC, Gremlin also produced a patch to our Owl/build/
 > tree to automatically generate flash images like that.

Not yet. There was only /etc/lilo-flash.conf file for booting
from a flash device.

 > Gremlin, please post that patch to owl-dev now such that we
 > could refer to it at least.

It's small and may be useful for many people, so here it is:

==== /etc/lilo-flash.conf ====

boot=/dev/sdh
read-only
lba32
prompt
timeout=600
menu-title="Openwall GNU/*/Linux boot menu"
menu-scheme=kw:Wk:kw:kw
append="rootdelay=10 panic=10"

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        root=/dev/sda1
        label=sda

# ...

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        root=/dev/sdh1
        label=sdh

==== /etc/lilo-flash.conf ====

Install it with `chroot /owl lilo -C /etc/lilo-flash.conf -b /dev/sde`
(or whatever is your flash device).

 > > With ZFS on Linux (ZoL) and BTRFS in the horizon, it seemed
 > > as such a script would be nice to separate OS from the data.
 > > With ro CF/USB with an encrypted data volume implemented in
 > > Owl would indeed be awesome!
 > Owl already supports encryption for loopback devices, so you can
 > use an encrypted ext4 filesystem with it currently (with our
 > pre-built kernels and tools).

Yes, `losetup -e twofish -k 256 /dev/loop0 /dev/md0` works just fine.

 > Meanwhile, we support DRBD in our kernel builds (and we need
 > to add the corresponding userspace tools to Owl), and we may
 > add support for some additional filesystems that are already
 > supported on Linux. BTW, of the less common ones, I'd consider
 > POHMELFS.

Why not GFS?

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
<gremlin ПРИ gremlin ТЧК ru>