Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 23:57:41 +0300
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: GSoC 2011

Hi,

Openwall is accepted as a mentoring organization for Google Summer of
Code 2011:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2011

Here's our ideas page (includes ideas on Owl and a lot more):

http://openwall.info/wiki/ideas

For those not familiar with Google Summer of Code:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code
http://code.google.com/soc/
http://socghop.appspot.com

Nmap project (http://nmap.org/soc/) summarizes GSoC as follows:
"This innovative and extraordinarily generous program provides $5,000
stipends to 1,000+ college and graduate students to create and enhance
open source software during their summer break.  Students gain valuable
experience, get paid, strengthen their resume, and write code which will
be distributed freely and used by millions of people!"

We'd like to hear from students interested in working on any of the
ideas (or on their "own creative and relevant idea"), as well as from
prospective mentors.  We're already aware of some. :-)

http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/timeline

March 18-27:
Would-be student participants discuss application ideas with mentoring
organizations.

March 28:
Student application period opens.

Alexander