Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:40:12 +0100
From: Simon Baker <simonb@...zo.org>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: OpenVZ Hosting Providers

  On 08/04/2010 12:33, Simon Baker wrote:

> On 31 Mar 2010, at 13:15, Solar Designer wrote:
>
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 11:57:19AM +0100, Simon Baker wrote:
>>> I currently have a debian VPS, which I'm looking to migrate elsewhere.
>>>
>>> Is anyone aware of a VPS hosting provider which has Owl templates
>>> available for use?
>>
>> I think we/you should try approaching some VPS hosting providers and ask
>> them to start offering Owl, which will also increase public awareness of
>> our project, which will in turn help the project evolve faster.
>>
>> Meanwhile, in the UK I recommend that you contact:
>>
>> http://blueroomhosting.com
>>
>> They're offering Linux KVM (not OpenVZ), but frankly that might be even
>> better for you.  They will install a Linux KVM-based VPS with Owl for
>> you if you ask for it (I had initial contact with them on this matter),
>> or you can install it from a "virtual CD" on your own:
>>
>> http://blueroomhosting.com/help/tutorials/kvm-install-custom-os.pxl
>>
>> (Then let them know that you did - in order to "vote" for them starting
>> to offer Owl.)
>>
>> As a result, you get not just one VPS, but a VPS capable of VPS hosting!
>> That is, you purchase a KVM-based VPS, and you can create multiple
>> OpenVZ VPSes (with any Linux distros, not just Owl!) inside your
>> KVM-based VPS with Owl.  This may ease your migration from Debian (you
>> may have a VPS with Debian and a VPS with Owl inside a single KVM-based
>> VPS with Owl that you purchase).
>>
>> If you go for this, then please let Blue Room Hosting know that you were
>> directed to them by Openwall.  If a lot of people do (unlikely, but who
>> knows), then maybe they'd support our project in a certain way.
>>

> Hi All,
>
> Good news - Blueroomhosting.com is now going to offer Owl as an ISO
> image on their VPS servers, which of course means people can now
> easily get Owl VPS'.
>
> They can't automate it as an image at this stage, as we use lilo as
> opposed to grub however.  Of course, this in no way stops you running
> Owl in this setup, it simply means you have to wait a few more minutes
> for it to install from CD, though of course this gives you more
> flexibility in how you partition and install the system.
>
> I'm going to try and do the install later this afternoon, if there are
> any issues I shall document them (with fixes hopefully!) on the wiki.

All,

Humblest apologies, I have been rather slack of late.

For the record, I have had a VPS with blueroomhosting.com for a few
months now, and they are by far the best hosting provider I've used.
The support is great, very helpful and knowledgeable and willing to help.

Installing Openwall was a straightforward as expected and hoped ;
everything just works.  Should anyone want to sign up for their service,
I have a kernel .config which I can provide which works with all their
KVM hardware.

Interestingly too, they offer native IPv6 now, which means you can
allocate native IPv6 addresses to OpenVZ hosts, in case you want to have
a 'pure' ipv6 only host :-)

I have documented some of the things I have done to enable networking
and NAT at this location:
https://azuma.kaizo.org/simonb/openvz+ipv6.php

Although it is mainly concerned with getting IPv6 up and running, there
is a section on how to set up SNAT and DNAT to allow network access to
guests using only one IP address.

Regards,

Simon.

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (6642 bytes)