Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 21:39:59 +0000
From: w4vcwx6gvk@...mail.com
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: gcc 4.5.0, auto-parallelization, OpenMP

Hi,

Thanks for the page.

What about updating Openwall to use a modern yet stable compiler (such as gcc-4.3.5, which is an older and stable branch but still under maintenance upstream)?  It's great that the software is very stable.  However, the -fstack-protector implementation for the gcc3 branch is "not perfect, and can cause problems", and gcc-4 may be preferred for compatibility reasons.  Anyhow I would like to update the system compiler to use a more recent compiler, and will do so on my own system.  The updated gcc idea may not catch on but...

In my opinion, it would be great to update the Openwall toolchain to create hardened binaries based upon the ideas outlined on:

  http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/hardened-toolchain.xml

Your thoughts are welcome.