Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:28:35 +0000
From: Simon Baker <simonb@...zo.org>
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: RPM Issue

On 25 Mar 2010, at 12:13, Solar Designer wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 03:53:08PM +0000, Simon Baker wrote:
>> I've hit upon a strange new issue, and I'm struggling to pin down
>> the cause.
>
> Apparently, our switch from LinuxThreads to NPTL triggered an RPM
> bug to
> show up.  In my experience, the issue only shows up once - after
> upgrading an existing system to our current packages.  It does not
> show
> up on further buildworld/installworld runs (rebuilding and
> reinstalling
> our current versions).  At least I was not able to deliberately
> trigger
> it on a specific fast machine where I did the build/install many times
> in a row.
>
>> rpmdb: unable to join the environment
>> error: db4 error(11) from dbenv->open: Resource temporarily
>> unavailable
>> error: cannot open Packages index
>
> When I had this error on two systems that had just been upgraded to
> our
> latest packages, rm'ing /var/lib/rpm/__db.00? helped to get rid of it,
> and the error did not show up again.
>
> You mention that this workaround somehow did not help you.  This is
> news
> to me.  Maybe you still had an rpm process running when you rm'ed the
> files?  In that state, it could need to be SIGKILL'ed.  Just a guess.

I've had a look, and there's no rpm process running on the system.

> Also, did you start your upgrades by installing our new binary
> packages
> or did you do your own rebuilds from source right away?  In the latter
> case, you might have reached an intermediary state that we did not see
> in our testing.

I did a rebuild from source ; some packages were already compiled.
The installed glibc is the one featuring NPTL however.

> Of course, we're not happy about this unresolved issue, but it is
> inconvenient to trigger at will and difficult to investigate.

Sure, but there's probably not much point in you guys trying to track
it down if it's just me who is having an issue.  I shall do an install
over the top of the existing installation, which may be the best fix.

Regards and Thanks,

Simon.
--
Simon Baker                                PGP: BCE47881
https://k.kaizo.org/simonb/

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (4754 bytes)