Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 20:37:03 +0300
From: gremlin@...mlin.ru
To: owl-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: IPv6 Support in Owl

On 10-Dec-2009 15:13:45 -0000, Simon Baker wrote:

 > Since I've upgraded one of my machines (running IPv6 natively)
 > I've hit a strange issue, whereby I can no long ping6 or
 > tracepath6 to hosts:
 > 	tachikoma!simonb:/usr/src/kernel$ ping6 hobo.kaizo.org
 > 	can't receive hop limit: Protocol not available
 > Similar errors occur when trying to run tracepath6 as well:
 > 	tachikoma!simonb:/usr/src/kernel$ tracepath6 hobo.kaizo.org
 > 	IPV6_HOPLIMIT: Protocol not available

gremlin@...-test:~ > zcat /proc/config.gz | grep IPV6
# CONFIG_IPV6 is not set

Rebuilding the kernel is a quite simple operation.
First, prepare the build directory:

cd /usr/src
tar -xjf /mnt/cdrom/usr/src/kernel/linux-2.6.18.tar.bz2
ln -sf linux-2.6.18 linux
cd linux
zcat /mnt/cdrom/usr/src/kernel/linux-2.6.18-*.diff.gz | patch -p1
zcat /proc/config.gz > .config

Now configure and build the kernel:

make menuconfig
make

Then install it:

cp arch/****/boot/bzImage /boot/linux-2.6.18-test

The "****" stands for your architecture name.

Configure bootloader (I did it once and always have "stable" and
"experimental" kernels):

image=/boot/linux-2.6.18
	label=good
	root=/dev/sda1
	read-only

image=/boot/linux-2.6.18-test
	label=test
	root=/dev/sda1
	read-only
	append="panic=5"

Note the "append" parameter - if kernel will be unable to run init,
it will reboot in 5 seconds.

Reinstall the bootloader:

lilo

Ask the bootloader to load experimental kernel on next boot:

lilo -R test

Reboot with your new kernel:

reboot

--
Alexey V. Vissarionov aka Gremlin from Kremlin
<gremlin ПРИ gremlin ТЧК ru>